In any aspect of life, the importance of privacy and security can never be underestimated. Whether it be in a business, your home, or at work, people always take privacy and security into careful consideration.
Particularly in online dealings, people are always looking for the next best thing with regards to upgrading the security of their home network. Before it was limited to mere antivirus software, but now everyone is becoming more aware of the risks of your home computer getting infected not just by viruses, but also malware and spyware.
Virtual Private Networks or VPNs are a fairly new way of improving security and protecting your online privacy. Basically, it provides you a way of encrypting your data, by creating a secure path or line to another network on a normally public internet service. Think of it as a Local Area Network (LAN) minus the cables, but with all the security.
But what are the advantages of availing a VPN?
- Security: A VPN is a way of keeping your data secure and encrypted, keeping it away from a anybody else’s prying eyes.
- Remote Access: A VPN allows for remote access of your network. This is commonly applied in a company setting where a person on the field could access the main network remotely, even through wifi or broadband connection.
- File Sharing: A VPN allows for faster ad more convenient file sharing for a common group. Again, companies with VPN service allow their users to log-on remotely to their main network to access files they may have.
- Anonymity: A VPN service is capable of changing your IP address thus providing you the opportunity to browse as you please without the risk of identifying yourself. If you are in UK, you can make use of UK VPN service while if you are in China, you can take advantage of China VPN.
- Torrents and Filter Bypass: A lot of countries have stringent measures against media sharing online through Peer-to-Peer and Torrent sites as they see this as a form of Piracy. Users from these countries usually use a VPN service to gain access to these sites and avail the free media.
- Improved Network Performance: Availing of a VPN service would greatly improve your network’s current bandwidth and speed through more high-capacity data options.
- Reduces Costs: As a business grows bigger, a LAN network normally outlives its worth. And the practicality of a VPN service is also evident as maintenance costs go down.